If you are a student and know how to write in Portuguese, here’s a great chance to make yourself, as well as your parents and friends proud.
‘First Draft 2016’, the first edition of a unique writing competition organised by the Panaji based NGO, Communicare Trust, offers students of 10th, 11th and 12th standard, the opportunity to get their winning articles written in Portuguese, published and distributed in all the high schools and higher secondary schools that teach the Lusofonian language. And there’s sizeable prize money up for grabs too, apart from other attractive perks.
The 3 themes on which the articles should be based on are Fashion, Media and Music.
The winning articles will be part of thestudy material for ‘Kaleidoscope’, the annual language quiz competition organized by Communicare Trust at DEITI studio, Goa University in September each year.
First Draft 2016 is being organized by Communicare Trust (Goa) whose objective is to promote languages and cultures, with the support of The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Portugal) and the Portuguese Consul in Goa, Dr. Rui Carvalho Baceira.
The winners will be handpicked by a jury comprising of 3 members appointed by Communicare Trust. While the Chairman of the jury is Nalini Elvino de Sousa, Manager at Communicare Trust, the two other members of the jury are Joana Marto, a Portuguese language teacher from Lisbon and Marina Nédio, a Portuguese language teacher from Porto, Portugal.
The winning article carries a cash prize of Rs 10,000/- followed by Rs 5000/- for the second place, Rs 2500/- for the third place and Rs 2000/- for the fourth place.
Through ‘First Draft 2016’,Communicare Trust aims to encourage students to inculcate healthy habits of reading and writing at an early age. Communicare Trust further hopes to promote literary excellence and groom students to contribute to the building of a talent pool of bright young minds in the state.
And if there are still any ifs and buts about the competition, there is help at hand.
As a prelude to ‘First Draft 2016’, aspecial creative writing workshop was organised on Tuesday 9th Februaryto help potential candidates to formulate the required framework for their respective articles. Different techniques and discussion about the themes were highlighted at the workshop which was conducted by senior journalist Devika Sequeira. The second such workshop is scheduled to be held on Monday 15th February 2016 from 10:30am to 12:30pm at Communicare Trust office in Dona Paula. The workshop is free, though prior registration is required.
Submissions for the competition will be accepted until 29th February 2016, by email or by courier to email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org. Couriers can be sent to Communicare Trust, VivendasGoesas, Row House no. 2, La Citadel Colony, Dona Paula, Goa – 403004.
Names of the winners will be announced on March 15, 2016 at a prize distribution ceremony.
- All works should be in Portuguese and must be original, unpublished and shall consist of a minimum of 750 words (around 11/2 A4 page) and a maximum of 1500 words (around 21/2 A4 pages)
- Texts must be computerized, written in Times New Roman, font 12, double spaced.
- Participants can submit their entries either by email to email@example.com or by post as a hard copy to Communicare Trust address given below.
- Name and address of the participant must be on a separate page and not written in the submitted copy. This is important because articles are distributed among the jury members with a code number, without the identification of the participant.
- Entries can be sent to: Communicare Trust, VivendasGoesas, Row House no. 2, La Citadel Colony, Dona Paula, Goa– 403004.
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com